Saturday, August 2, 2014

Boat Improvements:

Living and working aboard on a small, older sailboat.

The 1984 Beneteau First 345 is classified as a cruiser/racer and even with the shoal draft of 5 1/2 feet performs well to windward. Though 30 years old, this boat performs very well, is well built, and continues to serve us well. Most recent upgrades, specifically the new 21 HP Yanmar diesel, ensures that we'll very likely keep the boat for years to come.

On a recent sail with some new friends who are potentially interested in "getting into sailing and buying a boat of their own" I was asked how much work is it, really? I tried my best to convey that boat projects are endless, and for those who don't mind working on boats and value craftsmanship, the 1984 Beneteau will not disappoint, as will many older boats.

I've owned Lasata for nearly 15 years and have meticulously maintained, and done many upgrades.Though I haven't always done a good job of chronicling the meriad projects, I do have some online history of the projects. Here are the projects as I remember them;

Keel (2014)
Repower (2014)
Standing Rigging (2013)
Running Rigging (2007)
Air Conditioning (2009)
Interior Overhead (2008)
V-Berth Bulkhead (2008)
New Genoa 150% (2013)
New / Used Main (2012)
New Curtains (2014)
New Cultass (2011)
New Electronics (2011)

At some point, I'll try to find the photographs taken along the way showing some detail of my past projects. I only wish I hadn't done so many projects completely alone so that I might have been able to better provide a photographic accounting.



No comments:

Post a Comment